Is 0341 available to a colorblind person?
Create Post

Is 0341 available to a colorblind person?

Hello, my name is Connor, I just took my ASVAB (79) and my physical (Qualified) however, I am colorblind. I've been talking to the recruiters telling them that I only want reserve infantry as a job so as soon as im done with school I can go active. They informed me that I can be colorlbind and still go infantry, however I have a feeling this is to good to be true. The only availble job they have left is 0341. Now i understand that you can be colorlbind with 0311 but what about 0341?
    I've been looking everywhere for a list of jobs available to colorblind people but cannot find any. Any answers would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Connor

You can be a mortarman and be colorblind.

Awesome, thank you echo! im pumped

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Corporal,
    Connor0717,
    I'm going to question that statment.

1st, let it be known that my time was many moons ago, and I realize that things may have changed. My reservation comes from NIGHT FIRING.

At night, the aiming stakes used to 'lay' the mortar on target carried night lights..... one red, one green. This enabled you to set a 'compensated sight picture' accuratly, thus keeping the gun on target.

Each gun alternated it's lights, gun 1 red in front green in back, gun 2 green in front red in back.....
    This prevented you from aiming on the WRONG STAKES.

If there is a newer, better, error free way of doing it, then I'm all ears. But at this time, I have to question if COLOR BLINDNESS shouldn't be an issue.

Semper Fi.

my dad was a colorblind grunt, but that was back in the old days.

Well im suppose to sign for the job in a few days, assume i do sign for it. Could i end up not getting the job for that reason? Or would they have cleared that before i even sign?

Connor,
    I currently just got out of a 81mm mortar platoon and I had a few colorblind platoonmates. They do fine and so will you. As far as using different colored nads to determine which was your stake at night. We don't do that. We use the green glow in the dark nads. Enough dispersion between the guns that you don't have to worry about whose stake is whose. I'm actually an 0311. I was blessed enough to get put into a mortar platoon and learned machineguns and mortars with them. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them. Just send me a personal message or I'll try to check here if possible.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Brewer03,

Good to go then, thanks for the latest scoop. As I said, been a long time since I was behind a gun sight.

Any word on how they run in the FDC these days ?? Fire missions all computerized, or do they still run an M2 plotting board and range cards ??

Semper Fi
    'You order, we mortar'

Ok... So basically I can't log in to my original accout and resetting the password didn't work. Must be a bug. But basically the FDC is ran about the same. The FO's have some nifty things. They use a Vectre that basically tells them how far away from their current position they are. Kind of like a pair of Binos. And if missions are computerized we never got to do it. I was only with them for 7 months so I didn't get the full training on it just field experience with firing and such. All the other guys got that 2 months at SOI to train them in it.

Semper Fi!

CONNER============This happened to a friend of mine who went in the CORP in 1957. He top everything in his plt. Went to avivation Prep school to be a chopper piolit, flunked his last eyi test becouse be had one type of color blindness. As it turned out that type of color blindess was a help to chopper piolits. They could see into shados(SP) better. When he was to get out they offered him OCS which I know he colud have past. He told them to stick-it. I know my spelling is bad.

First, as someone that is colorblind- I assure you that it isn't half the problem that non-colorblind people think it is. I am pretty severely limited in red-green stuff. But, if you put a red light and green light in front of me, I'll be able to tell you which is which. It is when only one light is visible that the problems arise.

That said, I'm not saying whether or not he SHOULD be able to be a mortarman. I'm just saying that the Marine Corps didn't close that particular MOS to people that fail the color vision test.

(For what it is worth, my MOS had a whole lot to do with red and green wires. It probably should have been closed to me and was not. At the same time, crash fire rescue was closed to me, and from talking to those guys- it made no sense. I do believe someone is sitting at HQUSMC coming up with this stuff without knowing what they're talking about.

Thread Information